On Our Way To You

On Our Way To You

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Hannah

Today Chapel and I had planned to go with Tanya, Savannah and Liam to Sanyu Baby Home.  This is the family that invited us to their home for dinner, who are from Canada.  While we were eating dinner they began talking about a little girl who Savannah (their 16 year old daughter) has been working with at this orphanage.  She has CP and Savannah wasn't sure what she could be doing to help her.  I was very excited to offer to help and even go with them the next time they volunteered.   So before we left, we planned to go with them today at 8:30.  Chapel and I woke up a little earlier than normal to get ready and have enough time for breakfast. I thought about it all night last night, and couldn't wait to get to meet her.  At 8:00 they called and said their car wasn't starting and they weren't coming.  This is upsetting for a couple of reasons... 1 - I was very excited about loving on a little girl who needed some extra attention and love. 2 - That was my activity for the day...that was our way of passing the day and now we are up earlier than usual with nothing to do. 3 - I had already showered, so exercising was now not an option.  We headed on to breakfast and at 8:45 they called and said they were on there way! So our plans changed again and Chapel and I left at 9:00. 

Sanyu Baby Home is the oldest orphanage in Kampala.  It's hard to but into words what it's like...concrete floors with paint chipping walls. Rows of iron cribs and rooms with a few old, dirty toys.  There were a lot of children and not enough 'aunties' to care for them.  When we got there a Physio Therapist was working with the little girl, Hannah.  I talked with him a little and watched him work with her.  He would leave to go get another child and I would play with Hannah.  My heart just melted for her.  I kept thinking about if Trust was in that environment and how different he would be without all the therapy and attention and love he receives.  After 3 hours, he was finished working with her and it was time for lunch. I carried her to where all the kids were lined up to eat and was instructed to sit her on a wooden bench.  The next thing I knew I was handed a bowl of food with a spoon to feed her with.

Me & Hannah. She had a beautiful smile...reminded me of Trust's.
 After lunch it was nap time, so we left about 12:30. Tanya and Savannah were very open to my thoughts and ideas.  I shared a few simple things that I would want done as a parent of a child with disabilities.  Simply talking to her and telling her what you're going to be doing. No, she may not understand, but she might.  She probably does understand more that everyone thinks she does.  I also suggested just turning her stander to face the door where people move in and out instead of starring at a wall.  Simple.  That part of today was great. I was in my 'element', loving on a little girl who was a lot like Trust. I hope to be able to go back and show Savannah exercises and stretches she can do with Hannah on days that the Physio Therapist isn't there.

The other part of the day was not as fun...we talked with Linda and things seem to be moving extra slow. We have no passport. All 3 of us families are all waiting extra long for different things. When we were talking to her I just felt like we need to prepare mentally that we are going to be here for at least 5 more weeks.  We kinda got our hopes up that once we got the passport we would be home in 1-2 weeks.

For dinner we walked up the dirt hill to this guy who makes rolex (chapti, eggs and tomato). It's better than it sounds and it's a cheap dinner.  3 of them will feed our family and is 4500 shillings, which is under $2!!  If we want to splurge we buy just plain chapatis for 500 shillings each and put a chocolate spread and powdered sugar on them....tastes like heaven. :)

 "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!" Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment